Thursday, July 8, 2010

Surgery Rescheduled!

Sorry everybody, for not getting on sooner to give you an update on Payten and how her surgery went. I needed time to cool down! The events of this week have brought me to my boiling point! Therefore I was having an extremely emotional day, full of tension and frustration. First off I have been extremely bothered by the fact that Fox 10 News blew us off on Monday. For those of you who did not know, over the weekend Fox 10 contacted us and said that they wanted to interview us about Payten and her Charity and the fundraiser we are having on July 12! They did not show up! I feel that it was extremely uncaring to set up an appointment and then not show up. The explanation I was given was...Oh sorry about Monday, we don't know when or even if we can do a story. We will hold onto your name and number and if we decide we can or have time we will call you. Give me a break that is not an apology. They claim they are so caring and compassionate towards families and the community and that they want to help others etc. But all they really care about are Ratings and what is going to get them the most viewers. And this is a prime example of that. If they truly cared they would have shown up. So that was the First thing this week that bothered me. Secondly, today Payten had surgery scheduled at 11 am and as you all know, I was extremely nervous, as any parent would be. We arrived at the hospital at 8:30 am and we waited 3 hours in Pre-Op for the doctor to come. Finally after 3 hrs. of waiting, we met the surgeon. That is when the nerves really kicked in! After introducing himself, he says, Now will Payten be being admitted after surgery? (Huh?) I don't know Doc? You tell me? Then he proceeds to say, Oh, wow, I did not know she had a Trach! (Seriously? Did you look at her chart?) That changes things! Ummm, I was planning on going through her neck right where the Trach Collar is and using that vein to place the port, so I am going to have to remove the collar and suture in the trach. (What?) Oh don't worry she can go home like that. Actually (hahaha) it will work better than the trach collar! (Seriously, I don't think so!) Then he goes on to explain everything about the procedure, answers our questions and leaves. While in the meantime, I am sitting there freaking out, asking myself if this surgeon knows what he is doing and if we need to call Dr. Mancuso and have him come down here for the surgery. I was ready to cry because I was so nervous. Then the doctor comes back in after a short while and informs us that he does not have the right Port, so therefore is going to have to reschedule the surgery for Friday. Are you kidding me? You did not know this prior to us coming down here and wasting 4 hrs of our day. Joseph took work off for this, are you going to reimburse us for our time! NO! I feel so used and abused! I feel like no one respects me or my time! I do not think either of these parties understands how hard it is for me to prepare for these types of events and what time and effort I put into something like this. Then to have them blown off like they were, so frustrating, so uncalled for and wrong! I wish people could live my life for a day and see how things like this effect me and my family. But on the other hand I am relieved a little bit about the surgery being postponed because we were able to call Dr. Mancuso's office and inform him of the surgery and what the surgeon said about the trach. Hopefully he will be able to be there to help with the surgery that day and if not, at least he will be able to discuss it with the doctor and come later to take the stitches out for us. We would rather Payten not go home with her trach stitched into place! I also understand mistakes happen and things sometimes can not be controlled, so therefore I am not as upset at the hospital, as I am Fox 10 News! Fox 10 was rude and inconsiderate! Ugh! Life is so hard and frustrating at times. I feel like I am having a lesson in patience, understanding and forgiveness! Lets hope I pass!!!! I think I am doing a pretty good job, I am not too bitter, I am a little frustrated, but not angry! And besides, now that I have had the chance to get it off my chest, I will be over it soon. I did not lose it on anyone in the hospital, so that is a point for me!!!!!! Now, for an update, Payten did not have surgery today (LOL! as I just discussed above!), she will have surgery on Friday. Please Pray that the Doctor will be inspired and know what to do for our Payten that will best help her! Thanks for all your prayers thus far, they are truly needed and much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment