Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Attitude is EVERYTHING!

Payten and her BEAUTIFUL friend Alyssa!

Through this year and half, I have found that attitude and perception are everything! If you have a bad attitude or a negative perception, then it will end up being just that, negative and bad! Today could have been one of those NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAYS! But instead I turned my attitude and perception around and it ended up being a BEAUTIFUL day, that kinda started on a bad note! I have learned through this experience with Payten, that I can not control everything life hands me. I have to laugh at things and myself! I have learned not to let the little things get to me and not hold onto things, but rather let them go! Life is to short to constantly be frustrated and angry!

Today I woke up late! I received a phone call an hour before we needed to be to the hospital, saying that we needed to be to the hospital in an hour! None of the kids were ready, none of Payten's things were together and I was fumbling trying to get everything in order! We got to the hospital 15 minutes late, I forgot my wallet, my cell phone, Payten's insurance cards, and some of Payten's medication! At first I was super frustrated, because usually I am on top of things, usually I am not this unorganized, but for whatever reason I was having an off day! I realized all I could really do is laugh at myself and thank heaven that my head was still strapped on!

Then after getting settled in our room and talking with the Doctor, I find out that Payten will not be staying the four days that we had anticipated, but rather she would stay for the test and then go home and come back in three weeks! Again I thought I could get angry and frustrated, but instead I let it go. I didn't let it bother me, I figured at least we were getting one of the tests done and for whatever reason she needed to wait and that it would end up being a blessing in disguise, we just needed to look for the blessing!

Shortly after this, I was blessed to have a beautiful experience and received a beautiful compliment! I was able to meet a sweet family, who is facing some hardships that I am no stranger too. Their child is developmentally delayed, with low muscle tone, not only that, she is having feeding and respiratory issues, to the point of needing a Tracheotomy and G-Tube placement. I was honored to be asked to talk with them and teach them what I know and help them coupe with their feelings. I shared with them my heartache that I felt when I was faced with these same decisions and what a difference it made in my child's life. I taught them things that I had learned over time and explained things that they were having a hard time understanding, I even cried with them. It was such a wonderful experience! I realized I love helping people and talking with them and teaching them, it brought me so much joy! Then the compliment came. After I was done speaking with the family, my Doctor came in and thanked me and told me that he knew I was the person to ask because I have dealt with the trials I have been handed with poise, and that I have gained a lot of knowledge through my experience and have tons of hands on experience. He went on to say that he feels I am doing a wonderful job with Payten.

All I can say is, This made my day! Who doesn't like a compliment, especially from their Doctor! I always think, My Doctors hate me! They think I am so annoying! Oh no here comes Payten Merrill and her Parents, lets hide!!!! Why I think these things, I don't know, I just do! But when I hear things like this, it makes me realize that my Doctors do like me and they do respect me and they think I am a good mom, who is doing a good job and that helps me to keep chugging along! So even though my day started out on a bad note, it ended on a very happy and good note! And it is all thanks to the change in my perception and attitude! This experience I had at the hospital made me realize that I really do want to pursue a degree in Nursing or something like it. I want to help people, it brings me joy!

While in the hospital, we found out that Payten does not suffer from Rhetts Syndrome! What a blessing and relief that is! It is a weight lifted off my shoulders! Now we just need to hope that the medication for the GTP Cyclohydrolase Deficiency will help and make a difference in Payten's life! As of right now, Payten is doing good, she is healthy and she has started rolling more and more! She is also responding to people with smiles! These things may be small and simple, but they are so huge for Payten and we are so proud of her. We know it is because of all the prayers and love that you all have been sending our way. It truly has made all of this possible. To all of you, we say, thank you, we love you all and appreciate you so much! Remember Attitude is everything! You can change your day, by changing your perception and attitude! I think if we could all master this talent, the world would be a better place!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I learned about Payten on Emily Mullenaux's blog (she is my aunt) and I have been praying for her ever since I learned about her. I am glad that she is doing good, and I hope she continues to do well.

    ReplyDelete