Friday, September 20, 2013

An unusual school day!

Payten had a rough night last night, she struggled with her breathing throughout the entire night. Her oxygen saturation's were in the low 80's/high 70's and normal range for a person sleeping is mid 90's. So we hooked her up to oxygen and kept a close eye on her through the rest of the night. Now the question we are asking ourselves is, was the low oxygen seizure related or is she getting sick? Last night it seemed she was getting sick, for she sounded congested and her breathing labored, so we chalked it up to her getting sick, but this morning, she woke up with clear sounding breaths, that were no longer labored, so that leaves us wondering if it was indeed seizures she was having last night.

This morning was an unusual morning.  Payten's Occupational Therapist scheduled a makeup session at 8am.  Usually that is the time I am scrambling to get my kids out the door for school, but I figured I could arrange for someone to take them to school for me so that Payten could receive this much needed therapy. So that is exactly what I did. I arranged for my father to pick the kids up, but sometimes his work schedule changes and things get in the way, therefore, when he called to apologize that he would be unable to help me by picking up the kids for school, it did not bother me or stress me out too much, because first of all, I knew it was a possibility that he would be unavailable and second, I figured it would not kill my children if they were an hour or two late to school.

Payten did really well during OT this morning, which really shocked her therapist, for it has been almost two months that Payten has been unable to preform during OT sessions. The only thing the therapist noticed was that Payten is fatiguing fairly quickly, which before all these complications, Payten's stamina was extremely high. Overall though, we were both extremely pleased with Payten's therapy session today. I told the OT, that it did not surprise me, for she seems to be at her best first thing in the morning. Which makes me wonder if in order to have Payten receive the benefits that each of her therapies have to offer, we need to change the times to first thing in the morning. I guess I will have to really think about the pro and cons and seriously consider all of the benefits and decide if that is what would be the best option for Payten at this time. It will be hard, but I will manage if that is what Payten needs. Shortly after OT, Payten fell back asleep, it was around 10am and Payten slept til 3:15 pm, so that makes me think/lean more towards seizures, than illness, but she did require O2 during her nap, so it could be a combination of both illness and seizures, I guess only time and observation will tell. I just pray that this will not become her new normal and that her sleeping patterns will regulate and her stamina will increase back to where it was.


As I said before, I had planned on taking the kids to school shortly after therapy was through, but plans quickly changed when I found Emmett covered from head to toe in mud. I made the children go outside during Payten's therapy session so there would be less distractions for her. While they were outside playing, Zach and Makenna, decided to allow Emmett to cover himself in mud! Seriously?! At the time of the event, I was a little peeved, but now that I think about it, it is pretty funny. The first thought I had when I discovered the mess was, to yell and scream, but instead of yelling and screaming, I threw my hands in the air and said, PLOT TWIST! Who wants to stay home from school today?! Which to my surprise, they all shouted for joy and hopped on board with my new found idea for the day. The only rule I set, was no TV. So for the rest of their morning, they stayed outside, making mudpies and running around pretending, playing tag, etc. Then they came in, cleaned up from the mud baths they took outside and we had an indoor picnic, read books, did spelling tests and math facts, as well as free art. You could say that today was a home school type of day! Which every now and then I think is needed, especially in our family, for we tend to have a lot of stress in our lives, and days like these seem really help bring down those stress levels and put things back into perspective.

Though I have been worried and stressed and getting sick from all the worry and stress, I am sincerely thankful for today's unexpected plot twists, for they really helped to release some needed stress and allowed me to relax. I am so very happy with myself that I was able to remain patient and calm, with a positive outlook/attitude regarding all the unexpected events of this morning. By doing this, it allowed me to just go with the flow and take the different unplanned twists of the morning as they came with a smile, when in all reality, I could have gotten extremely frustrated which would have ruined the entire day. It just goes to show what having a good attitude can do. These are the days my kids will remember for the rest of their lives and therefore I am happy I could allow them these precious memories.

Tomorrow is going to be a super busy day. Joseph and I have some very ambitious goals set and I hope we accomplish each and everyone. One of the main goals we have set is, painting Makenna's new bedroom set. I bought chalk paint last weekend and tomorrow is when we embark the journey of  learning how to paint furniture using Angie Sloan Chalk Paint. I pray it is as easy as I have heard and that it turns out as cute as I picture it in my head. Another goal is cleaning and organizing our garage, which is a complete and total disaster, so off to bed I better get, for I have and extremely busy day tomorrow. I pray that all of you have had a lovely day and I hope you get the rest you need and accomplish everything you set forth to do tomorrow. Much love to you all. God bless and good night. Oh and my apologies for having no pictures. I wish I would have snapped a few, but I really was kind of off today, for I had a really bad headache and did not feel well, so again my apologies. I will hopefully do better about capturing the moment through picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment