Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Our day may have started off bad, but it ended on a good note!!!!

Oh boy! Today was one of those days where at the end you take a deep breath and thank your lucky stars that you survived it. Wednesday's are usually my most busy day of the week, but today was even more so, I think it is because it was filled with both good and bad moments. Early this morning around 2am when Joseph got up for work, Payten woke up sobbing, acting as though she was in great pain, but not only that, she was greatly struggling with her breathing and we had a hard time keeping it up out of the 70's. I was up throughout the night checking on her and I did CPT and breathing treatments to try and help her O2 go up. It did help some, but not like I would have liked it to. Therefore first thing this morning, I called the Pulmonologist and got an appointment to see him.

I expressed my concerns and showed him the videos of her breathing, etc. and without words, I could see the worry and confusion on his face, which is not settling, nor comforting, rather it his worry made me worry even more than I already have been. The plan of action that was discussed at Payten's appointment was, that Dr. P would be calling Dr. M (the ENT) to discuss him preforming a Rigid Bronchoscopy before closing up the stoma. This will happen on the same day of surgery, but the bronchoscopy will show whether it is safe for her to have the stoma closed or if she indeed does need the trach placed again, etc., for it could also show if there if something else causing the breathing complications, such as tonsils, adenoids, or other obstructions in the airway, and if that is the reason, then we can hopefully remove the obstruction and then hopefully will be able to move forward with the closing of her stoma. Until then, we will give her an antibiotic and a steroid to help infection, inflammation airway and hopefully open things up more. All in all it was not the best news, because there is indeed a problem, we just are not certain what that problem is. Dr. P did send us for an x-ray of Payten's sinus cavity and of her throat, in hopes to see if all of this could be chalked up to a sinus infection or to help him see without having to do a bronchoscopy, if there is something obstructing her airway. I still do not have these results, we should have the results sometime tomorrow . I am just praying it is better news than my gut is telling me.

The x-rays did not go as well as they could have, for the technician was a total Jerk. He was extremely impatient and rude to the fact that I had Emmett with me, making rude comments the whole time about him being there. Thankfully I took it with grace and just brushed it off during the moment, smiling through his nasty demeanor. Not only was he rude about Emmett, but he had no understanding or patience towards Payten. It made me wonder why he works where he does. I guess, they must not see many kids like Payten, I don't know? He just acted as though this was the first time he had ever dealt with a child such as Payten. He looked at her, after everything was in place and firmly states, "Hold still, NOW!" I looked at him, smiled and kindly said, "I am sorry, but that will not happen. It is impossible for her to hold still, so you need to take that into consideration and be creative with this x-ray, for she is not going to hold still for you." I don't think he liked my response, for he look extremely annoyed and said, "Well then, you need to hold her with your strongest grip and keep her still, got it?" ~ Got it, Jackass! (thankfully, people can not read my mind or I would get in trouble.) Even with me holding Payten the best I could, (for it is a two person job!) we still had to take several films, which did not make him happy at all. Each time he got more and more frustrated, reiterating to me the importance of firm grip and holding her still! Thankfully we got a good film and we able to leave his negative presence.

However, as we were leaving, he says to me, You said your daughter is struggling with her breathing and that is why you needed the x-ray,  correct?" I responded, "Correct." Which he responds with, "Well, that makes sense. I certainly can see the problem." What? Are you kidding me? Did you just say that? These were the questions going through my head, along with, You are not a doctor and you can not tell me you see a problem and then have the gull to leave me hanging. I left this appointment confused and frustrated beyond belief. I wish I would have been more upfront and questioning, unfortunately his comment left blindsided and so shock, that I did not ask what he meant by his statement, which has left me sitting here eager to know what the results will show and worried that there is something seriously wrong with my daughter. Let's hope that is not the case and that I will know the results early tomorrow, for I do not need more stress than I already have regarding these breathing complications Payten is suffering right now.

After this terrible morning, our day got better. Payten had therapy and she did so, so. She was not the ROCK STAR, she has been in past therapies, but we could tell she was struggling and so we gave her a break and let her take a nap. After her nap, I got the kids ready and met up with Joseph at Payten's Halloween party which was at one of her Therapy clinics. It was a lot of fun, the kids really enjoyed themselves. Here are some pictures of the night,

Not the best picture, but still super cute! Payten was dressed as Bell from Beauty and the Beast, Makenna was Snow White, Emmett was dressed as Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates (of course!), and Zachary was a Star Wars, Jedi in training!
 
After we got some pictures taken, the kids dived into all the fun activities they had set up,
 

 These two pictures are of Emmett and Makenna crafting! Such cuties these two are!
 
 
 This is of Zachary with his miniature "Puffles" family he created!
 
And, drum roll please,



 These are the finished products of our crafting! I think I have some budding artists here!!!!
 
After the kids were finished crafting,
 
They carved a pumpkin and this is Zachary holding the finished product! I have to say the kids did a great job!
 
We ended the night with some trick or treating
 
and here is the loot we got! However, I must say we got a little ripped off, for there was no candy! Not even a little! Oh well, the kids still had a great time, even if there was no candy for Mom to steal!!!!
 
Before we left, we were able to capture a cute moment of Payten with her Physical Therapist, Anna,
 
what a sweet picture of the two of them on such a fun night! We love Miss Anna, she is the best!
 
Seriously, tonight's fun really helped put a good twist on a day that started off not so great! See there is silver lining in everything and there is another silver lining I would like to share in regards to all of Payten's troubles, that silver lining is, that at least her breathing is okay when she is awake! See, you can find good in everything! I pray that all of you had a fantastic day, like ours ended! Before I go I want to leave with a fun video of Emmett doing his new favorite thing, Jumping on Joseph's leg!
 
 
I hope this video made you smile, like it did me and that you all have a blessed night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment